Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Friendship

I was recently offered a quote by poet and essayist, Samuel Johnson in which he stated, "There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity." In addition, I was asked what my views on this comment and friendship are. In regard to the quote, I would be inclined to see wisdom with this statement.
It is my opinion that confidence is a key element of friendships, or any relationship (as well as loyalty, communication, care and willingness among many factors). Confidence, by the Oxford dictionary definition is: 1. Firm trust. 2. A- feeling of reliance or certainty. B- sense of self reliance; boldness. This characteristic is two sided and, in order to be true to itself, must display both sides equally and harmoniously in order to succeed. First; and possibly the least recognized side of confidence is the ability to be true to one's self. If a person cannot be honest with the self and instead, uses self deceit, honesty with others will be impossible. Self deceit is the worst form of deceit. The second side of confidence is the ability to offer your loyalty to others as a form of communicating your own worthiness. A person that is true to himself will often be recognized as a person that will be true to others. If confidence emanates from all involved individuals, the relationship's success will be likely.
To return to Samuel Johnson's statement; one would see the friendship line being drawn to integrity by way of confidence. Pulling definition again from the Oxford dictionary, integrity's definition is given: 1. moral uprightness; honesty. 2. wholeness; soundness. -1. rectitude, decency, honor; probity. 2. entirety, totality. Honesty; this is one of the most important aspects of life and is sadly, too often overlooked.
If one were so inclined (as I am about to be) to paraphrase Mister Johnson's quote in an attempt to simplify the meaning, one might say: Friendship is not possible without the firm trust in the honesty of one's self and that of another. In an effort to try bringing this discussion to a close; I would like to reflect on one of my own relationships in order to convey the importance of integrity and confidence.
Eleven years ago I met a person that was soon to become the closest friend I have ever known. When we began our friendship, I was up front and honest with what I was looking for in friendships and also what I was willing to give in return. Since then, we've had disagreements, arguments and even fights. At times, truth has felt more like a deadly blade than a productive tool and at times things were grim. Fortunately; two children, a new home and surroundings, and a truckload of communication has come to pass and my dearest friend (and wife) is still as close to me as my own skin. We are successful because we both firmly trust each other's honor.
This is not an isolated occurrence. I attempt to offer the same relationship pattern to most people I encounter in some way; to a childhood friend I have known since middle school; to a fellow employee I might spend hours working along side; to an instructor that offers time and knowledge; even to the stranger I hold a door for. The feeling isn't always returned but when it is, the new relationship has a solid foundation in which a strong friendship can be built.

No comments:

Post a Comment